If you want to be a cruise captain, then you have to keep in mind this can be a very challenging job. He is the one that’s charged with the safe operation of the cruise ship. Captains are also the persons responsible for the safety of any cargo and the passengers as well. It’s a position that requires a lot of experience, and you will also need a license.
You are a licensed mariner that will be responsible for everything on board while you are in command of the ship. On top of that, you will also need to oversee the crew and passengers. The cruise captain is the authority that everyone answers to, be it crew, officers, mates and so on. The captain will have to oversee their work, make sure that everyone arrives at their destination and at the same time you also need to communicate with other vessels.
Another job requirement for the cruise captain is to oversee any maintenance work, not to mention the cargo needs to be stowed according to the maritime regulations. As a cruise captain, you will also need to make sure that all the safety regulations and maritime protocols are followed to the letter and at the highest possible level. The cruise captain also needs to create and adhere to a vessel security plan. The captain is also responsible for taking care of the ship documentation and certificates.
The captain also needs to make sure that the ship complies with the customs and immigration laws as well. It’s also important to note that the ship captain’s job description also requires him to socialize with guests and greet them.
Benefits and salary
The cruise captain salary will differ based on many factors. You need to study the cruise captain job description for that. Most of the time, the cruise captain can earn anywhere from $60000 and up to $100000 per year. Sometimes the paycheck can be even more than that, which is something to keep in mind. The time served with the cruise line can lead to more money being added to the salary. The cruise captain job can be a very fruitful one from a financial standpoint, but it does come with its fair share of challenges, so try to keep that in mind.
There are multiple requirements, based on the cruise ship and its size.
- Normally, the captain needs to have postsecondary education at a merchant maritime academy. Either that, or he needs to have at least 1000 hours at a deckhand.
- You will also need to pass a licensure competency like the CMM.
- License renewal is necessary, just like recertification.
- 3 years of experience as a staff captain or master role is crucial. Since you are a cruise captain, excellent English language skills are imperative.
- Leadership, decision making skills are extremely important too, so you need to master all your skills and take them to new heights.
How to become a cruise ship captain?
Spending vacations on a cruise ship is dream of many but not everyone get luck for it. However, if you make you way to become a cruise ship captain, you can bring your this dream to fruition. Here is the brief procedure for it.
- Educational requirement: First you need a bachelor’s degree in maritime studies or a relevant discipline.
- Experience: Secondly, build your experience in navigation and vessel operation on a ship.
- Job license: As the final requirement, you need to get your license from U.S Coast Guards for which you must clear relevant test and exams.
Following completion of all these stages, you are all set to start your career as a cruise ship captain.
Remember that you must have complete understanding of dealing with crew, maritime laws, and overall operations of the ship.
Where to find sea ship captain jobs?
There are numerous job portals that provide latest job openings for cruise captain positions.
Following are country-wise websites where you can find your desired job: